I went to my 34 week appointment on June 21 and got a good report.
The twins both quickly passed their non-stress test. During that test, the doctor measures the babies' heart rates - the rate is supposed to go up when the babies move. If it doesn't, it could indicate that the baby is in distress. Fortunately, both babies were doing well.
At the ultrasound, the tech told me both twins were measuring 4 lbs, 11 ounces. I can't believe I'm already carrying close to 10 pounds of baby (actually, I take that back, I can believe it - I am HUGE). Apparently, one has a big head and small abdomen while the other has a smaller head and larger abdomen, which is why their weights are coming out the same. They are on the small size - 26th percentile - which my doctor said was normal for twins. She's hopeful that they will be well into the 5-pound range by the time they are born. It makes me feel immeasurably better to know they are both safely out of the 3-pound range.
The ultrasound tech told me that baby B had a lot of hair. I guess that shouldn't surprise anyone. :)
Baby A's head is resting directly on top of my cervix and has been for several months. The tech told me not to be surprised if baby A's head doesn't come out "perfectly round." Poor thing - totally squished in there!
Reaching 34 weeks was a huge relief to me. Babies born between weeks 34 and 37 are considered late preterm, and the potential problems following birth (breathing, eating, etc.) decrease substantially if you can carry a baby for 34 weeks or more. So, while I don't intend to go out for a jog or anything this week, I'm officially getting rid of the keep-em-in-there anxiety. Phew!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment