Monday, August 6, 2012

The new normal.

We're closing in on the end of the boys' first month of life.  As we do so, we've settled into a routine that becomes a little more comfortable each and every day.  The routine consists of eating, sleeping, and whatever we can fit into the spaces between those two.  Needless to say, there isn't much to report from this past week.  The boys are getting bigger every single day - I can't wait to find out what they weigh at their one-month doctor appointment!  I bet they are well into the seven-pound range (speaking of which, who are these women that deliver 10-pound babies?!?  superwomen!). 

The only notable new development with the boys this week is that they have both started smiling.  I know the "smiles" at this point are really just muscle twitches and not responsive to me or anything I am doing, but they are still precious!  I really look forward to getting more of the responsive variety in the future. 

As I noted before, the boys aren't doing much other than eating and sleeping.  They eat approximately every three hours, which means I get a couple of two-hour blocks of sleep a night.  As it turns out, all those years of waking up to run at 4:45 every morning were REALLY good training for newborn twins.  I am getting a decent amount of sleep by comparison to my old work/run schedule!  And, in any event, I know that this is just a season that'll be over in the blink of an eye.  The boys are so precious at this size - and part of "this size" means that they can't go more than three hours without eating.  Sometimes you have to take a little "bad" when it means you get so much "good."  After trying so hard to have these babies, none of it seems like too heavy a burden (though, to be fair, if you asked me at 2am, I'd probably have something different to say . . . ). 

On the workout front, I finally made it out for a walk today - three miles and I'm already unbelievably sore.  That's pretty pitiful, but at least it's a start.  I've promised my doctor I won't start running until I see her again on August 24.  I also can't start doing situps or ab work until then.  Frustrating, but at least the end of the workout moratorium is almost over!!  And, in the meantime, these boys have gotten their momma back into her regular clothes already (nursing twins burns 1000 calories a day - all I do is eat and the weight just keeps coming off - pretty amazing)!!! 

Here are some pictures from this week.


Picture of Deuce next to a baby picture of Scott (I think we've figured out who he looks like . . . ):



Typical (and as-promised!) - Deuce screaming his face off while Tait sucks his head:



Me and my sleepy boys:



Tait:



Deuce making his O (read: potty) face:



'Til next time!




No comments:

Post a Comment