We've officially survived the boys' first two weeks of life. Hurray for us! In all seriousness, it's gone a lot more smoothly than I thought it would. That's due, in large part, to the fact that my saint of a mother has been with us for the entire time and Scott's been off work since the boys arrived. I don't know what I would have done without both of them! They have been 100% amazing - grocery shopping, cleaning the house, changing/watching the boys, etc. AND they let me nap during the day, which makes the (sort of) crazy nights much more bearable.
The boys are absolutely hilarious. Here is a list of some of the funny things that have happened since we got them home:
- The boys were born with very distinct and different personalities. Tait, the first born, is very, very calm. Like hardly-ever-makes-a-peep calm. His brother, Deuce, is very, very vocal. ("Vocal" being code for gets mad as a rattlesnake and screams his head off whenever he wants anything). Both boys are as sweet as can be - it's just crazy how different they are!!! Nature vs nurture makes more and more sense every day . . .
- The boys sleep together. It is the sweetest thing you've ever seen. They cuddle up as close as possible and keep each other calm. I'm sure I should be separating them and that I'm dooming them to a life of co-dependency, but they are just so sweet together that I can't bear to separate them. If they want to share a bed until they are teenagers, that's fine with me. Here's a picture of them sleeping:
- When they are sleeping together, Deuce will often start screaming bloody murder when something's wrong (he's hungry, has a dirty diaper, is laying on a pacifier, or just generally wants to be held). When he does, he screams directly into his brother's ear. Tait doesn't seem to mind - he lays perfectly still and sleeps right on through, no matter how loud Deuce gets. Here's a picture of Deuce getting totally wound up. Have to love this face!!!
- Tait gets back at Deuce for all that yelling though. Even when Tait's not hungry, he likes to lay next to Deuce and suck on Deuce's head! I routinely pick Deuce up and find a patch of matted, wet hair on the back of his head. I guess sucking his brother's head is comforting to Tait. I don't have a picture of this yet but will try to get one. It's hilarious!
- The boys have been really, really good. I am nursing them and it takes me about an hour to get both of them fed and changed every time they eat, which is every 3 to 4 hours. This means that I actually get a decent amount of sleep at night - especially because I am one of those very, very fortunate people who can fall immediately to sleep. That said, I am still getting only about 5 hours of sleep a night, which keeps me a little sleepy. A few days ago, Scott and my mom watched the boys while I took a mid-afternoon nap. When it was time for the boys to eat, Scott came and woke me up. Semi-awake and clearly delirious, I told him that I was finished feeding one of the boys and he could bring me the next one. I then patted the pillow I was hugging as if it was one of my sons and kissed its "head." I very clearly thought I had been nursing that pillow. Ha!
In other news, we had the boys' two-week weigh-in doctor appointment this past Thursday. The goal was for both boys to be back at their birth weight. Tait was 6.2 lbs at birth; Deuce was 6.3 lbs. At the hospital, the boys lost down to 5.9 and 5.8 lbs respectively. They were 5.11 lbs when we left the hospital. I was pretty anxious about the weigh-in appointment - I was nervous they might not be getting enough to eat as I am not supplementing with formula and relying exclusively on breast milk. Fortunately, the boys were doing GREAT!!! Tait weighed in at 6.8 lbs and Deuce weighed in at a whopping 6.11 lbs!! And they are even bigger now - they have these hilarious, round pot bellies! I am clearly producing enough milk for now. Hurray!!
Here are some more pictures of the boys from the past two weeks:
Tait:
Deuce:
Gigi and Scotty holding the boys:
Bye for now!











No comments:
Post a Comment