Monday, July 23, 2012

The best day ever.

It's been forever since the last post.  I know, my fault entirely.  But, to be fair, it's been a very insane week and a half.  The most insane of my life.  That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.  I'll try to get updates out more quickly henceforth.  For now, I'll start with telling you about July 12, 2012, otherwise known as the very best day of my life! 

We got to the hospital at 6:30am.  Surgery was scheduled for 8:30am.  Things ran a little behind, mainly because they had a serious amount of trouble getting an IV set up in my arm before I got my epidural.  The nurses at Mobile Infirmary mauled my arms and hands trying to get the thing set up.  Seriously, they blew out three veins before the fourth attempt worked (looking like a heroin addict is ok, right??).  Once the IV was finally in, I got an epidural.  I had really feared the epidural - not because of the shot itself, but because I thought it would feel really weird and awful to lose sensation in my lower body and not be able to move my legs.  But, when it happened in real life, the epidural was super easy and didn't bother me at all. 

Things got a little crazy after the epidural.  I was wheeled into the operating room and found nearly 20 people when I got there.  I had no idea there would be so many people!  There were two separate teams - one for each baby.  The teams included separate OB/GYNs, pediatricians, neonatologists, and an army of nurses.  It made me a little nervous - were they anticipating some problem they hadn't told me about or was this normal protocol??

As they were getting me prepped, one of the nurses asked how big the babies were.  I told her that the babies were 4 lbs, 11 ounces at 34 weeks but that they hadn't been measured since then.  She then guessed that the babies would be between 5 and 5.5 pounds, but she said she wasn't sure if they'd be that big because I "didn't look like I was carrying ten pounds of baby."  I told her we'd find out for sure soon enough. 

Scott stood right by my side throughout the surgery.  At one point, I asked him whether they were getting ready to start.  He looked at me with big eyes and said - "you're cut open; they already started."  Wow.  Here we go!

About two minutes later, I heard Helen, my wonderful OB/GYN, say "Baby A was coming out."  Seconds later, she announced that Baby A was a boy.  A boy!!!!!  I was thrilled.  I heard him scream once.  It was the greatest sound I'd ever heard.  Then Helen held that sweet baby boy up in the air so I could see him over the curtain that kept me from watching the surgery.  He was perfection!  Here's a picture of him from his very first moment outside the womb (and I apologize in advance - this is a little gory):



Less than a minute later, Helen announced that Baby B was here and he was also a boy.  We were right!!  It was two boys!!!!  Helen held him over the curtain so I could see him and he was perfect, just like his brother.  Here's a picture of him being born (again, I apologize for the gore):


After the boys were born, they were taken to separate corners of the operating room to be checked out.  I was being stitched up, so Scott went to check on the boys.  He went and took some pictures.  Then he reported back to me that Baby A was very quiet but super alert, with big, wide eyes and a head full of hair.  Baby B had less hair than his brother and he was screaming his head off.  Scott also reported that Baby A weighed 6 lbs, 2 ounces and was 19.5 inches long.  Baby B was 6 lbs, 3 ounces and 19 inches long.  Wow!!!!  More than 12 pounds of baby!  I couldn't believe they were so big!  Here are pictures of both boys while they were being examined after they were born:

Baby A:



Baby B:



After the doctors finished examining the boys and found everything to be A-OK, they gave the boys to Scott and I got my first good look at them.  They were absolutely beautiful!!!!




After the surgery was over, I was wheeled to a recovery room where I finally got to hold my beautiful boys.  Here are some pictures from that very special time:






We named Baby A after my dad - James Tait Driscoll.  He's going by Tait.  We named Baby B after Scott's dad - William Joseph Driscoll, III.  He's going by Deuce (b/c he was the second one out - we liked Deuce better than Tripp or Trey . . . ). 

Tait:



Deuce:


Both boys in their preferred sleeping positions (Tait is on the left; Deuce is on the right).  This has to be the sweetest thing in the entire world. 


So, that's it.  The very best day of my life.  I love these boys more than I imagined was possible.   I can't believe that they weren't in my life just two weeks ago - it seems like they've always been here. We are so blessed and excited that they are finally here!

More to come soon.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment